Monday 9 January 2012

Looking down from the third waterfall at 7 Cascades

I wanted to study the SPACE in the 4th Waterfall which I had been painting before, so I climbed down to the top of the 4th waterfall, this is what it looks like:

I did several quick studies in oil on 5" x 7" panels:



 Then, a charcoal sketch on paper 30 x 40cm:

I went back a second time and did more sketches, in oil on 8" x 10" plywood, this time I really thought about the ROUND SPACE and tried to get the mountain on the left and the mountain on the right in too so that you could feel the enclosed space:





I went again, this time I took a canvas (60cm x 50cm) and painted on that for the whole 3 hours that I spent there:


I did this painting from one of my sketches afterwards, back in my studio:

No comments: